I’ve came up with a concoction that gradually lightens hair with minimal to no damage. Here is the recipe! I wish I had taken a good before and after picture but I don’t have that much foresight. I now have some natural subtle streaks through my hair and my tips are naturally lighter from exposure to the sun and this concoction for a few months.
What you’ll need:
- A normal conditioner (I used Biosilk Silk Therapy Conditioner)
- Chamomile tea
- Extra virgin olive oil
- A tub or bottle to store everything in (I used an old tub from Macadamia Natural Oil)
- A spoon or fork for mixing
- Fill the tub with some conditioner. The amount varies. I generally start with a quarter of the tub.
- Slowly mix in some chamomile tea and extra virgin olive oil.
- Keep adding more conditioner, tea, and extra virgin olive oil. Try to maintain a texture similar to creamy thick soup.
- When you get close to the top of the tub, mix in some honey. Honey will do most of the lightening but since it has natural peroxide in it you don’t want to add too much.
- Close the container and you are done! Shake before each use.
- Use several times a week. I use it 3-4 times a week. Results will show after 3 weeks and continue to intensify the longer you use it.
Chamomile tea has lightening properties and anti-oxidants that are good for the hair, honey is very moisturizing and has natural peroxides to lighten the hair, and extra virgin olive oil works as a peroxide accelerator and also moisturizes the hair. The conditioner does what any other conditioner would do but for this experiment it mostly works as a base to keep all the other ingredients together.
You can see more DIY projects here.
Do you make any DIY hair or beauty products? Share your recipes in the comments!
Related post: I don’t use shampoo!
Kindness is the best accessory,